watermark trust wyberton

Wyberton Primary Academy

Google Services


Get in Touch

Wyberton Primary Academy


At Wyberton Primary School we aim to strive to support all our pupils to achieve to the best of their abilities through quality first teaching in a supportive and caring manner demonstrated through the school’s core values.


On occasions, alongside quality first teaching some pupils require additional support from the school and or outside agencies.


Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is: Mrs Lisa Maw

Special Needs Assistant is: Mrs Shirley Wilson

Learning Mentor: Mrs Gash

A Governor monitors and works with the SENDCo


Contact with the SENDCo or SEND team can be made using:

Email: enquiries@wyberton.lincs.sch.uk 



Wyberton:     01205 364797

If you would like any further help or support, please contact Mrs Maw (SENDCo) on the form below:

Contact the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator

Supporting SEND During COVID-19 Closure

During this lockdown we want to make sure we support our SEND learners as much as possible while they are learning remotely. If your child would like support with any aspect of their learning we invite you to use 'Bookings' to have a catch up with Mrs Maw. This can be to share work completed, talk through any difficulties or to work on specific interventions to support your child. 

Please visit the link below which will take you to a webpage. Here you can select 'Support with SENCO' and choose a day and time which suits you and your family. This will send you an e-mail confirmation with a link that you can use at the time of your appointment to join the video call. 

Please see below a number of activities and useful information to support both you and your child. Keep checking back as there will be regular updates. 

If you would like further activities or advice, please get in-touch. 

Resources and links to support your child's Special Educational Need

Roles and Responsibilities of the SEND Leader


To ensure that the aims and suggestions stated in the SEND Policy and Accessibility plan are carried out and specific provision is allocated after consultation with the child, parents, carers, relevant staff members and outside agencies if appropriate.


The SEND leader and Senior Leadership Team regularly monitor progress for all pupils and alter interventions and support if progress is slower than expected.


We are also in regular contact with outside agencies that offer support and further guidance for different needs.


If you have any concerns about your child or something linked to Special Needs please do not hesitate to contact me.


How does Wyberton Primary School know if my child needs extra help?


We know if the child needs extra support:


  • By the concerns being raised by the parent, carer, teachers and child
  • If progress is minimal
  • If there is a change in a child’s behaviour or progress
  • If they are involved with an Early Help Assessment, Team around the child, Child in Need, Child Protection Plan or is a Looked after child.


What should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs?


  • Speak to your child’s class teacher as the initial point of contact for a referral to the SENCo
  • Contact the SENCo Mrs Maw or assistant Mrs Wilson, or the Learning Mentor
  • Discuss and share a range of evidence


How will I know how Wyberton Primary School will support my child and what the access arrangements are?


In terms of what we offer children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities, this is different for every child and it is important to emphasise that, as much as possible, this provision is designed by the relevant Wyberton staff members working alongside the child, the child’s family and, where necessary, outside agencies after having gained your consent * (e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or an Educational Psychologist).


Typically, a child with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities will have an action plan which sets out targets that are currently being worked on and what additional provision is put in place for that child. The content of the action plan is negotiated, as appropriate, with the child and the child’s family and if appropriate after assessments from outside agencies. This is why it is so important that parents/carers attend our Parental Consultation Evenings and Review Meetings.


 For many children, targets will be connected to learning and will often be specifically to do with English and Maths. There are four broad areas of need:


  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health
  • Sensory or Physical needs


For other children, they may be to do with social interaction, communicating with children and adults, emotional difficulties, overcoming physical issues (for example problems to do with fine motor control) … the list is endless! The most important point is this: targets depend on the needs of the child.


The school offers many different forms of additional provision. This can include: additional in-class support; additional out-of-class support; one-to-one support; flexible groupings (including small group work); access to specific resources; mentoring; counselling; and access to a wide range of outside agencies. Additional provision is overseen by the school's SENCo and Senior Leadership Team and is designed and implemented by an excellent team of teachers, ably supported by a fantastic group of teaching assistants. Like with individual targets, the most important point is this: additional provision depends on the needs of the child decided alongside parents and the child’s school.


In addition, all Wyberton pupils benefit from a range of teaching and learning styles; a differentiated curriculum; a range of differentiated learning materials (both for reinforcement and extension); assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements; access to ICT; differentiated intervention programmes and a broad range of extra-curricular activities. See website for information.


We always make reasonable adjustments for pupils and their parents/carers, where we can. We work closely with parents/carers and any outside agencies who give us advice. Over the years we have provided coloured overlays, therapy equipment and moved classrooms to name just a few.


We go to great lengths to ensure that any pupil with a special educational need and/or disability has the necessary adult support or required equipment so that they can take part in activities such as school trips and residentials.


The school grounds has a lot  of access for wheelchairs. All walkways are on the ground floor and each classroom has access to a double door.


Transition also involves supporting the child, whether it is when the child joins the school, changes class or is moving to secondary school, various approaches may be used liaising with the child, parents and staff.


How will the school let me know how I can support my child?


The class teacher will suggest ways and activities you can complete at home with your child.


Mrs Maw, Mrs Wilson or the Learning Mentor will be available for suggestions and methods to try at home if there are difficulties or changes in your child’s behaviour and emotional needs.


If the Educational Psychologist or Attendance Officer has been involved, they normally provide suggestions and programmes to use at school and home.


What support is provided for my child’s overall well-being?


As a school we offer a wide range of pastoral support for children encountering emotional or behavioural problems, which includes nurture based activities in a small group or 1:1, using a wide range of resources and programmes such as Volcano in my tummy, Think Good, Feel Good, Social Stories etc…


Pupils with medical needs

If a child has been diagnosed with a medical need, an individual care plan is written in consultation with parents and outside agencies (if appropriate) and then all members of staff are made aware of it.


Staff are given Epipen training and Epilepsy medication training


If medication is required with some diagnosis then a written consent and plan is provided alongside the care plan.


All teaching assistants and office staff are provided with First Aid training.


What specialist services and agencies do the school access?


Social and Emotional Outreach

Autism Outreach

Education Psychologist


Speech and Language

School Nurse and Paediatricians

CAMHS – Child Adolescent Mental Health Service


Parent Partnership

Family Support

Social Services

Child Protection Services

Targeted Youth

Healthy Minds

Young Oasis


What is the Local Offer?


The Local Offer is part of the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) reforms from the Children and Families Act 2014.


 There are two main purposes for the Local Offer:


  • to improve information about services and provision available for families, children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, and to make it easier for all families to find this information by making it available in one place.
  • that by working directly with families, children and young people on developing the Local Offer, Local Authorities and Health partners can improve provision.


Lincolnshire’s Local Offer includes leisure and activity providers, health and care services, education providers and support groups.


The Local Offer, as with the rest of the Family Services Directory, is provided to help you find services more easily.  You should always check services and activities are suitable for your needs and those of your family.


Who is it for?


The Local Offer is for children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs and/or disabilities, and their families.


It will also help professionals working with families to find the right information.


Link – www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/SENDlocaloffer 

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to the children’s special educational needs?


Each financial year an SEN budget is set and allocated within the main school budget. This budget is used to purchase resources and provide additional support to individual pupils. This can include the deployment of adult support for pupils.


Additional provision is provided after discussion with class teachers at review meetings and pupil progress meetings or if concerns have been raised at another point in time. 


How will school make a decision about how much support my child will receive?


Class teachers and the Senior Leadership Team review the child’s progress termly and discuss regularly with the SEND leader about the progress being made and interventions being used. Also consultations with outside agencies including the Educational Psychologist views are taken into account.


What happens if my child joins the school and has special educational needs from another school?


Entry into Foundation Stage


If your child attends a pre-school/nursery, the SENCo there will normally inform us that your child will be joining us and that he/she has special educational needs. The SENDCo or Learning Mentor at our school will then attend any meetings (when invited to attend) at the pre-school before they start, so that we have a clear picture of your child's needs and what support they might need when they join us. The SENDCo or Learning Mentor will also speak with outside agencies involved where necessary to make sure that any advice is in place.


If your child has significant needs, they may need some extra visits to our Foundation Stage class in addition to those already provided in the summer term.


Joining school at other times, e.g. mid-year


If your child joins our school at any other time in their school life and they have additional needs, their previous school should send us all their pupil information, which would identify that they have special educational needs. As a school we endeavour to put support in place that is appropriate based on our initial assessments and observations of your child. The information from the previous school should tell us what support has been in place which will also help us to see what has worked well and give us important information about areas for development. It would be useful if you could also tell us all about your child and their needs. If outside agencies are involved, the SENDCo or Learning Mentor will contact them so that they continue to support your child in our school. This will often be through a review meeting to which you, the parent/carer, will be invited.


Moving to another Primary School


If your child moves to a new school due to relocation, once we have been informed that they are on roll at their new school, we will send on any relevant paperwork, including documents such as Pupil Record Cards and outside agency reports. The new school will then have all the relevant information needed to put support in place as soon as your child joins them. It is always helpful for you to also keep the new school staff informed and make sure that they have received the paperwork from us.


Moving to Secondary School


The SENDCo at our school invites all the secondary school SENCos during the final term of Year 6 to inform them of all pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities joining their school. Details of the pupil's needs are passed on to the new SENCo, along with details of what support has been in place at our school to help them. Our SENDCo/Learning Mentor passes on information about any outside agencies that have been involved and all SEN paperwork is passed on, including documents such as Pupil Record Cards and outside agency reports. The receiving secondary school will then have all the relevant information needed to put support in place as soon as your child joins them in Year 7.